Cal/OSHA Heat Illness Prevention for Employers
Course updated May, 2015
Cal/OSHA Heat Illness Prevention is intended for employers in all industries that have employees working in California with the potential for exposure to heat illness and heat stress. This course is intended to familiarize the student with the basics of Cal/OSHA’s standard, titled Heat Illness Prevention, and found in Section 3395 of the Title 8 California Code of Regulations, as amended in April, 2015.
This standard applies equally to all work outdoors, in conditions that induce heat stress and heat illness. The course will also familiarize the student with the basics of heat stress awareness, symptoms, illnesses, preventive measures, and medical surveillance.
This course meets the amended California OSHA regulations that went into effect on May 1, 2015.
Upon successful completion of the course, each student will receive a ClickSafety Certificate of Completion that shows 0.1 Continuing Education Unit (CEU) and 1 Contact Hour received for this course. ClickSafety is an authorized provider of IACET CEUs.
This ClickSafety Cal/OSHA Heat Illness training course is intended for all Construction and General Industry employers in California, including managers, supervisors and workers who are potentially exposed to heat illness and stress during their job.
- California-based Construction Workers
- California-based General Industry Workers
- California-based Manufacturing Workers
- California-based DOT/Transportation Workers
Course Based On
Cal/OSHA Heat Illness Prevention Standard, Section 3395 of the Title 8 California Code of Regulations, as amended April 2015 and effective May 1, 2015.
The Cal/OSHA Heat Illness Prevention online safety course will enhance your understanding of heat exposure and illness prevention. Upon completion of this course the student will be able to:
- Recognize the potential consequences of heat illness
- Recognize employer responsibilities for preventing heat illness, as required by the Cal/OSHA Heat Illness Prevention Standard, including the creation of a Heat Illness Prevention Plan and provisions for water and shade, acclimatization and training
- Identify tips for preventing heat illness
- Identify causes of heat stress and how the human body handles heat
- Identify the types and characteristics of heat stress
- Identify ways to prevent heat stress
- Introduction to Cal/OSHA Heat Illness Prevention
- Heat Illness Background and Case Studies
- Cal/OSHA Heat Illness Prevention Standard
- Heat Stress Overview and Causes
- Heat Stress Illnesses
- Heat Stress Prevention
- Heat Illness
- Heat Stress
- Environmental risk factors
- Personal risk factors
- Heat Illness Prevention Plan
- Provision of water
- Access to shade
- Heat Illness training
- Emergency heat plan
- High heat procedures
- Buddy system
Features and Benefits
ClickSafety's Cal/OSHA Heat Illness Prevention course instructs California workers about the signs of heat illness are and how to prevent heat-related injuries.
- Based on the April 2015 version of the Cal/OSHA standard for heat illness, effective May 1, 2015
- Provides important safety tips for preventing heat illness
- Covers employer requirements, such as preparing an emergency heat plan, providing access to water and shade, allowing for acclimatization, and training employees
- Covers engineering and administrative controls for preventing heat illness