EM 385-1-1 Safety & Health Topics (8-Hour)
Course updated May, 2015
The EM 385-1-1 Safety & Health Topics course provides 8 hours of online training based on requirements found in the 2014 Edition of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) Safety and Health Requirements Manual EM 385-1-1. Compliance with EM 385-1-1 guidelines affects all contractors working on government contracts. Many agencies and contract managers require adherence to the requirements of this manual as well. The requirements of EM-385-1-1 (2014 Edition) are normally implemented through contractual requirements and are enforced by the agency representatives. All contractors and employees subject to the provisions of EM 385-1-1 must follow the safety, health and environmental regulations that are located in the EM 385-1-1 safety manual. Contractors must also follow Federal OSHA, ANSI, NEC and other regulatory standards, as required.
This course is intended for Site Safety and Health Officers (SSHOs) who are employed on contracts governed by EM 385-1-1. The course provides SSHOs the required annual training specified in EM 385-1-1 Section 01.A.17.d.
The EM 385-1-1 manual was designed by USACE, in collaboration with NAVFAC, and provides an overview of the safety requirements on federal projects. The 2014 Edition supersedes the last edition of EM 385-1-1 published in 2008. While many of the requirements in the EM 385-1-1 align with OSHA Standards, there are some specific differences that go above and beyond OSHA Standards.
Upon successful completion of the course, each student will get a ClickSafety Certificate of Completion that will show the 0.8 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) and 8 Contact Hours received for this course. ClickSafety is an authorized provider of IACET CEUs.
This course is principally intended to provide Site Safety and Health Officers (SSHOs), employed on contracts governed by EM 385-1-1, the required annual training specified in EM 385-1-1 Section 01.A.17.d. It can also be used to provide awareness and refresher training to employees who will be working on federally funded projects as required by contract specifications for each project.
- Site Safety and Health Officers (SSHOs)
- General Contractors
- Military Personnel
Government Contractor Requirements
EM 385-1-1 requires contractors to employ a minimum of (1) Competent Person at each project site to function as the primary Site Safety and Health Officer (SSHO), depending on job complexity, size and any other pertinent factors. In addition to further requirements, the SSHO must have completed the following training:
- An OSHA 30-Hour General Industry or OSHA 30-Hour Construction training course, or formal training covering the subjects of the OSHA 30-hour course
- Formal industry training covering the EM 385-1-1 (2014 Edition)
- SSHOs shall maintain competency with 8 hours of documented formal, online or self-study safety and health related coursework every year
ClickSafety's EM 385-1-1 Safety & Health Topics online safety course has been designed to fulfill the 8 hours of documented formal training for SSHOs. This 8-hour course is based on the 2014 Edition of the EM 385-1-1 manual and can be repeated annually in order for the student to meet their yearly training requirement.
Students taking this EM 385-1-1 Safety & Health Topics online course will learn the following topics. More detailed and focused objectives are described within the content of each of the topics.
- Identify the major changes found in the 2014 Edition of EM 385-1-1.
- Select and use the appropriate PPE on USACE contracts and contracts executed under EM 385-1-1.
- Describe proper methods for material handling, storage and disposal.
- Describe proper equipment and methods for fall protection.
- Explain the requirements for safe access, use of ladders and protection for floor and wall openings.
- Describe proper methods for protection during excavation and trenching activities.
- Describe safe use of hand and power tools.
- Course Orientation for Safety & Health Topics
- Changes to the 2014 Edition of EM 385-1-1
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Material Handling, Storage and Disposal
- Fall Protection
- Safe Access, Ladders, Floor & Wall Openings and Stairs
- Trenching and Excavations
- Hand and Power Tools
- EM 385-1-1 (2014 Edition)
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE)
- Site Safety and Health Officer (SSHO)
- Accident Prevention Plan (APP)
- Activity Hazard Analysis (AHA)
- Government Designated Authority (GDA)
This course is based on the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Safety and Health Requirements Manual, commonly called EM 385-1-1, updated in November, 2014.
Course Features and Benefits
ClickSafety’s EM 385-1-1 Health & Safety topics course is meant to fulfill the 8-hours of documented formal training required for Site Safety and Health Officers (SSHOs) who work on federally funded projects or as required by contract specifications for each project. This course has the following features:
- Provides basic training on selected topics of the current EM 385-1-1 manual
- Highlights the latest changes incorporated into the 2014 Edition of EM 385-1-1
- Fulfills annual 8-hour competency training as defined by EM 385-1-1, Section 1, paragraph 01.A.17.d.
- Completion Certificate accessible and printable 24/7