The Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) Part 46 2023 Refresher (8-Hour) course from ClickSafety is designed to provide participants with up-to-date training/information, as well as provide the mine’s Competent Person with the tools needed to promote a high level of both focus and safety at all times.
MSHA requires yearly refresher training for miners working in sand, gravel, surface stone, surface clay, colloidal phosphate, or surface limestone mines, and this course provides that comprehensive overview. In addition to the material covered in this course, the Competent Person must provide the miner at a minimum with instruction on changes at the mine that could adversely affect the miner's safety and health.
PLEASE NOTE: The training is only applicable to the MSHA Title 30, Part 46 regulations for sand, gravel, surface stone, surface clay, colloidal phosphate, or surface limestone mining. This training does not fulfill Part 48 training requirements. Please contact the mine you are planning to enter to verify whether you must complete Part 46 or Part 48 training. To learn more about the MSHA Part 46 training requirements, please click here.
NOTICE: THE FOLLOWING IS NEW FOR 2023
- COVID-19 is still with us. COVID-19 standards and reinforcement of basic prevention methods from CDC and MSHA guidance
- MSHA‘s Powered Haulage Safety Initiative offers a continuing focus of MSHA due to the high percentage of fatalities in this area
- The top 10 citations issued by MSHA to raise awareness among miners
- Lessons learned in 2022 to prevent fatal incidents and future catastrophes
- MSHA’s “Take Time, Save Lives” initiative with emphasis on proper training and attention to tasks
- MSHA’s Enhanced Enforcement Initiative with emphasis on customer and contract truck drivers training and compliance with MSHA standards, including task training for supervisors performing work
- MSHA’s Silica Enforcement Initiative with increased air sampling in jobs and locations with known higher levels of respirable crystalline silica exposure
- MSHA’s introduction of Best Practices and Health Hazard cards to provide mine operators and contractors with addition training resources
- MSHA’s Safety and Health App for mobile devices that provides miners access to information on miner’s rights, fatalgrams, etc.
- MSHA’s legislative agenda for 2022-2023, including MSHA’s Surface Mine Equipment Rule and the Silica rule that has been on the agenda for several years
ClickSafety’s online MSHA Part 46 2023 Refresher (8-Hour) training is designed to cover essential topics as they pertain to surface mine safety and health standards. Throughout the course, participants can expect to learn the following:
- Important and relevant safety and health issues that will be the focus of MSHA's attention in 2023
- A review of the mine working environment
- Best practices for recognizing, avoiding, and reporting common hazards, including electricity, hazardous energies, confined spaces, and conveyors
- Fire warning signals and firefighting best practices
- Safety and health aspects of mining tasks
- Essential safety topics, including first aid, emergency medical procedures and the use of personal protective equipment (PPE)
- The dangers of silica dust and blood-borne pathogens
- Emergency situations, including escape and evacuation
- MSHA miners' rights and responsibilities
- Supervisor and representative MSHA roles and responsibilities
- Machine guarding, lockout/tagout (LOTO), fall prevention, among others